Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Emily Bronte-Wuthering Heights

Although Dickens is my favorite author of all time, Emily Bronte is a close second. I should say that the novel Wuthering Heights is a close second. I don't even know if Emily Bronte wrote anything else so I cannot say that I like her body of work. She died so young that I don't think she wrote anymore novels (Just a little gruesome sidebar here, I was reading that there is speculation that the parsonage cemetery of Haworth was contaminating the Bronte drinking water causing premature deaths in the family).
Early on, Wuthering Heights activated my love of the tragic romance. When I was a teen, I was interested because my mother told me there was a ghost involved.
A few years later, when I read it I was moved by their despairing love. I traveled to the modest home of the Bronte's on the moors and loved the landscape, again the romantic in me. Years later when I re-read the novel, I was moved in a different way. I saw Cathy and Heathcliff as less romantic characters and more as selfish brutes.
That is what I love about the classics. They speak to you differently at different times in your life. When my oldest daughter read Wuthering Heights, she hated it, saying Cathy and Heathcliff were selfish pukes, but she has since re-read it and feels differently again (maybe she will comment).
My mother always wondered how these Bronte women with so few life experiences outside the lonely moors could write such wrenching romances and I wonder too, but then inspiration, I guess, is not necessarily an outcome of life experience. Obviously.
On Cathy and Heathcliff, I would love to hear what you think...
Although Heathcliff, became an abusive brute as an adult, I was more sympathetic to him, and I felt like he was more of a victim. Whereas Cathy was a spoiled brat from beginning to end. What do you think?
I LOVE this book!

2 comments:

  1. I read this book and much preferred Jane Eyre. It is much more positive and uplifting. I did not like anyone in Wuthering Heights except maybe the servant Nell. Are you going to review Jane Eyre? Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Jane Eyre years ago, and you bet I am reviewing it. I too loved that novel although I found it quite different from Wuthering Heights. It certainly is not as dark. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete