Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Christmas Carol-Charles Dickens

Well, it is Christmas and I just have to post about A Christmas Carol. Over the course of forty years, I have accomplished the goal of reading every work of Charles Dickens, and I owe it all to the first book I read by him, A Christmas Carol. I was first exposed to A Christmas Carol at a department store display in Mpls., MN. If any of you reading this live in Minnesota , you may remember the Dicken's London Towne animated figure display at Dayton's Department Store. A Christmas Carol. Initially I thought it was sacreligious, (being a good little Catholic girl) pairing ghosts with Christmas, but I soon set my narrow views aside and devoured the book. To this day I give this short novel and Daytons Dept. Store credit for giving me my life long love affair with Charles Dickens. What are your memories about A Christmas Carol or other books about the season?
It was a magical, wonderful exhibit in their auditorium with moving figures (like at Disneyworld) all dressed up as Dickens characters. Spectators would wind through the snowy streets of 19th Century London and peek through mullioned windows at the characters inside. Some of the scenes were Fezziwig's warehouse during the Christmas Eve ball, Fagin's hideout in Oliver Twist and many more. I wish I could revisit it because, at the time, I was a child and unfamiliar with all of his books, so I did not know who all the figures were representing. I did recognize though, Ebenezer Scrooge and his ethereal guides. I was captivated and from that point I was determined to read every work of Charles Dickens.

3 comments:

  1. I love this book too although it scared me when I was a child. I watch all of the different versions when they come on the tv. My favorite is the the Ghost of Christmas Past hcaracter. Have you seen the Muppets Christmas Carol? A really good version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Muppet's Christmas Carol is one of my favorite versions too!
    And I have been to the Dayton's display and it certainly is magical. Nothing gets me more in the Christmas spirit than a cozy Dickens novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the Muppet's Christmas Carol but my favorite of all time is a cartoon version with Mr. Magoo, a character from the 1960's. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete