Thursday, March 21, 2013

Jane Austen

Jane Austen is "big" right now but I cannot jump on the band wagon in adoration of her books. I think they are difficult and tedious. I LOVE her stories. She is a master at drawing room dialogue and comedy, but I think her work translates better for me onto the silver screen. I am sure many people would say the same of Charles Dickens which I totally "get". He too is difficult to wade through, but I take my time with Dickens and enjoy savoring his lengthy descriptions.
With Jane Austen, I get confused about who is speaking, and the formal writing style of the day overwhelms me. I have not read Pride and Prejudice, in maybe twenty five years, so maybe it is time give it another shot but until then I will stick the wonderfully romantic and witty adaptations by Hollywood.

2 comments:

  1. Gregory Allen BenderMarch 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM

    I adore the works of Jane Austin but I know they can disappoint after the movies. I have read every one of her novels and I think my favorite it Emma. Have you seen the PBS version?
    Do try some of her works again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really should, Gregory...maybe Sense and Sensibility next.

    ReplyDelete