Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth

Portnoy's Compliant is the humorous monologue of  Alex Portnoy, a neurotic and self absorbed Jewish American male living in New York City in the 1960s.
The entire book in a candid and funny confession to a psychiatrist about Alex's Oedipus Complex and sexual obsessions. I found it a quick light read which reminded me of a Woody Allen movie, although I am unsure why it made my Librarian's List of Most Influential Novels of the 20th Century. Perhaps it was because of it was one of the first sexually explicit and honest explorations of masturbation? Yoiks! I didn't hate it, but I would much rather watch Woody Allen's movie Annie Hall.

2 comments:

  1. I had completely forgotten about this book. I think I read it back in the sixties. I think one of the reasons it was so important was the content and I agree I thkink Woody Allen was influenced by Roth. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by and for your comment, Keirney!

    ReplyDelete