Monday, October 22, 2012

Hawthorne-The House of Seven Gables

Nathaniel Hawthorne-The House of Seven Gables

How come they have not made this into a movie recently? I know of one black and white film from the forties with Vincent Price (which isn't even on Netflix) but no other screen adaptations.


I was surprised when I was reading the movie trailer that the The House of Seven Gables was about one brother framing another brother for murder. I read the book in my college days, and I don't know if I can't remember the plot line because it is not memorable, or if my mind is simply thick with cobwebs. I do remember the house itself, which still stands in Salem, and it still haunts me. It is a dark and gabled structure and every bit as creepy as you might think. And I also remember vaguely that the story is about the sins of the father revisiting the sons through the ages. It is about the later generations of a family in Massachusetts, whose ancestors had been involved in the Salem witch trials.
The tourist dept. in Salem tries to make you think this book is hair raising but that much I do remember, it is not! The House of Seven Gables was different than what I had thought at the outset, but I do remember liking it. Why did I write this review? Maybe I shouldn't have, time to re-read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment